It drives me mad when I go to eat out and all anybody can offer me is “fresh fruit” for dessert. You know what? I like fresh fruit, but that does not need to be the sole dessert option if you’re vegan or gluten free.
This is something I make for dessert quite regularly. Vegan and gluten free apple and blueberry crumble with ice cream.
Yes, it is vegan. Yes, it is gluten free. Yes I suck at cooking and still manage to come up with something more interesting than most professional chef’s can manage.
- 1 small apple, finely diced
- 50 grams fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon (30 ml) maple syrup
- 20 grams gluten free museli
- 2 scoops soy ice cream (I use the So Good vanilla one)
- Put apple and blueberries in microwave safe bowl and drizzle the maple syrup over the top
- Microwave the apple, blueberries and maple syrup on high for 1 minute
- Take out of microwave and mix through the museli
- Add 2 scoops of soy ice cream if desired (I desire!)
So you know what? Stuff the pathetic kitchen staff who can’t use their imagination for a whole 3 seconds. I am one of the most useless people you can possibly imagine in the kitchen. I’ve almost burned my apartment down several times I’m that bad. And even I can come up with something more imaginative than “sliced fruit”.
I like fruit, I really do. But you can do so much more with it than just cut it up and stick it on a plate with nothing to go with it. Which is all that ever seems to occur when I eat out.